Characters of the Past: GL's Josh & Reva. What was your favorite storyline? Read more here--->>>
Joshua Lewis & Reva Shayne Lewis. Josh & Reva oil and water. Josh & Reva was like putting gasoline on a fire. Josh & Reva couldn’t live with each other, couldn’t live without each other. Josh & Reva fate, destiny, inevitable.
“Break up to make up that’s all we do.” Those lyrics are apropos for all super couples on soaps but even more so for Josh & Reva. Their love affair spanned decades, countries, continents and time.
Josh and Reva were childhood sweethearts in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Wild and crazy Reva grew up poor and the much more tempered and tame Josh grew up rich. Oil rich. They broke up when Josh left for college. We all suffer heart break and give some before we leave this earth. Everyone handles it differently. Reva being Reva, didn’t cry in her pillow, eat a tub of ice cream or have a good girl’s night out to nurse her wounds. Nope Reva married Josh’s, brother, Billy Lewis for revenge. And that was just the beginning.
Reva was brought to Springfield, IL (where Josh & Billy were living) by the Lewis’ nemesis, Alan Springfield, to break-up Billy and his current beau, fiancé, Vanessa Chamberlain.
Even by soap standards Josh and Reva’s union was tumultuous. When we say they went through it, they went through it. They tackled traditional soap obstacles marriages with other people (those others included Reva’s sister, Cassie, and Josh’s brother, Billy, and his daddy, H.B. Brooke Logan is actually Reva 2.0), deaths, resurrections, amnesia, health scares, who the baby daddy drama, psychotic mates, fake pregnancies, being framed for murder.
But theirs included cloning (that’s some real I can’t live without you stuff right there), aging serum and time travel. Yeah, Josh and Reva did it big.
It didn’t matter what happened or who happened Reva & Josh would always find a way back to where they belonged, each other. Their story was so epic, Guiding Light, had a storyline where their love story was made into movie a, Always.
Nobody on planet earth or planet soap could say “Joshua” like Reva Shayne Lewis. And when Josh would look at Reva, those eyes whether filled with love or anger would reflect the passion and desire that couldn’t be denied.
We will take a trip back in time (not via a portrait though lol) and look back at 10 memorable moments of Josh and Reva. They have had so many, some will be missing. Feel free to share yours, if it’s not on the list.
1) Slut of Springfield-When Josh and Reva originally reunited, after she came to Springfield, and planned to wed, Josh broke off the engagement when he discovered Reva had worked with Alan to break up Billy and Vanessa. H.B. who wanted to drive a wedge further between Josh and Reva, bribed Reva to marry him. Josh was so distraught he went for a drive and crashed his car, which left him paralyzed from the waist down.
At a party at the County Club, Josh watched everyone walking around having a good time, and watched Reva be Reva all sparkly and flirty. He reached his limit. Josh and Reva (The Cripple and The Tramp) had the mother of all arguments. Reva stripped, dove into a nearby fountain and baptized herself “The Slut of Springfield.” Iconic.
2) Josh and Reva’s first wedding at Cross Creek. Iconic.
3) After the birth of her second child with Josh, Shayne, Reva suffered with postpartum depression. She didn’t take her meds as prescribed. Poor Reva was out of her mind when she thought men were after her and she was trying to get to Josh. She drove off an unfinished bridge (Josh watched helplessly in horror) into the water off the Florida Keys and we can still hear those words today, "I'm coming, Bud!" Iconic.
4) Reva was selfish, only thought of herself and acted in her own best interest often. When Reva returned home after “Amish Rebecca”, a lot had changed. Josh had fallen in love with Annie and her kids were happy with “mommy Annie”. Reva didn’t want to disrupt their lives. She first tried to move away with Alan. But Josh found out she was back. So then she lied to him told him she didn’t love him and married Buzz so Josh and her kids could be happy.
5) Annie turned, wacko Annie, parachuted out of a plane in midair, took the pilot with her and left Reva tied up to die. Josh couldn’t bear Reva being dead again. He took drastic action. Reva’s frozen eggs + aging serum=2 Reva’s (cloned Reva). Josh could barely handle one! “Dolly” put up a good fight to try to keep Josh but eventually took aging serum to die so Josh and Reva could move on with their lives.
6) Reva underwent hypnosis to try and find out what happened when she was thought to be dead. She kept having dreams of a baby and the baby being snatched from her. Her quest led her and Josh to San Cristobel where Reva found out during those missing years she was actually “Princess Catherine.” Very fitting because we all knew Reva was royalty.
7) Shayne was torn between going to college and playing baseball or playing professional baseball. Josh who had his own regrets about his career choices made the decision for him and mailed the draft contract. This caused problems for Josh and Reva. Josh was overbearing and thought Shayne wasn’t taking his career seriously enough. One night Shayne was at a concert instead of a meeting with the Chicago Cub’s manager. Josh was furious and left to bring him home. It was a rainy night. In route, Josh hit a car and injured the other driver, Shayne, who as a result was paralyzed.
8) Reva’s cancer storyline, how she kept it from Josh and her miracle healing.
9) Drunken jailhouse sex when Josh was in jail for shooting Alan.
10) How did the longest scripted drama in history end? “The Cripple and The Tramp” came full circle and rode off in a Ford Truck for an unknown adventure with Colin. Iconic.
In the Guiding Light series finale, Josh was ready to be with Reva. Reva wasn’t sure. Before Josh left Springfield in, An Affair to Remember, like moment, he told Reva to meet him at the Lighthouse in a year, if she was ready to be together.
Fast forward a year, Reva and Colin (Reva’s son with Jeffrey) showed up at the Lighthouse with Josh waiting for them. In that moment, the words Josh & Reva spoke to each other reaffirmed their love and commitment to each other. The 72 year old Guiding Light concluded their run with Josh, Reva and Colin getting into an old Ford pick-up truck. Before they drove off;
Josh asked Reva, "You Ready?"
Reva replied "Always."
I’d like to think Josh and Reva are somewhere with Billy happy telling their grandchildren stories about H.B., Lewis Oil and “the good old days.”
Josh and Reva (Jeva if we had shipping names back then) a love affair for the ages.
Reminisce with us. What’s your favorite moment or storyline for Josh and Reva?
GET FREE ALERTS
Get our free email alerts on the shows, topics and the author of this article.
Having problems on our site? try Troubleshooting