The good, the bad and the not so...on Days of Our Lives. Read more here--->>
We are back for our second article in our "What We Are Loving on our Soaps" series. Our first one featured General Hospital. If you haven't read it, check it out. Today it's Days' turn.
Disclaimer. Disclaimer. Disclaimer.
This is what we love. You might not agree. It's okay. We are good. You are good. It's all good. Our favorite Days storyline right now is the immigration storyline.
All of our soaps defy reality at some point. SORAS, deSORAS, baby switching, aliens, potions, memory swapping, masks, unrealistic time sequences, doppelgangers and of course the most defiant one of all; coming back from the dead. But we love it. All of it.
Yet, it's also good to change things up a bit. We like it when soaps swirl their toes in the pool of reality and tell stories "ripped from today's headlines." It's been about a year and a half since the JJ/Theo shooting story. It was time for the immigration storyline. We hope this is a trend (telling realistic stories), that it will continue and that the other soaps will follow.
This isn't anything new. Hardly. We are old enough to remember when soaps were at the forefront or at the very least in step with what was going on in the world at that time. We are old enough to remember when soaps actually tackled topics that could be described as "unpopular" or controversial; AIDS, LGBTQ issues, interracial marriages, abortion and teen pregnancy. Soaps were willing to speak up, be bold and have a voice. Now, not so much.
We said with our first article for this series, we would only focus on love love love. But for this article, we will deviate a tad only because we think it's warranted. We are not saying this story isn't without its issues or problems. No. But it's a start. Days tried. It's an effort. So, we aren't willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater. We will let out the water and keep the baby. Meaning we can appreciate the effort. Yet expect, want and ask for more. Some fans (we have seen it on Social Media) have been screaming and yearning for some real with our reel. We got it. It's not perfect. But it's a start.
Okay, now back to the love love love. We are counting down what we love about this immigration story and why.
5. Topical/Relevant-We covered this but we do love that this storyline is real and relevant. They are addressing issues surrounding immigration. Yes, it's a political hot button. But if soaps can deal with real issues marriage, kids, family, sex, rape, finances. Why not political ones? Hey, we talk about these characters daily as though they are real people. So, we are game for soaps touching on political issues as well.
4. Days isn't pulling any punches-Okay here might be something else that isn't 100% love. (Goodness we are trying but we have to be real also). In the JJ shooting Theo storyline, Days did tiptoe around somethings. There were issues that could have been addressed better and stronger. We can't say that this time. Days is going all in. They aren't tip-toeing around anything. It's in your face. The dialogue and actions are direct. We like direct.
3. Umbrella story-We love love love umbrella stories. This story has cast a large net on canvas. Haley, Melinda, law enforcement, younger set, triangle Jack/Eve/Jennifer and it's woven into the Mayoral Race. We approve.
2. Jeopardy-How many times have we complained that there isn't any jeopardy in stories? We can have a serial killer story but no major characters die. Or have a major storyline with no serious consequences or no main characters affected. Not this time. There are major characters on opposing sides of the issues. We've had jeopardy i. e. JJ/Jack's relationship and are anticipating more.
1. The Writers didn't forget it's a Soap-We still have soap people. The triangle of Jennifer/Eve/Jack is at the center. We are digging the subplots; JJ and Jack were trying to build a relationship and Jack betrayed JJ's trust, Jack is trying to figure out who he is and life, with no memory. JJ was close to finally getting another love interest, the Mayoral Race and Claire, the perfect vixen, is trying to keep Haley away from her man. Days is giving us numbers 2-5 and didn't forget to give us soap.
We have seen the mixed reviews on Social Media. We likey the story.
What say you?