Phlip K. Boyd recently landed a role on General Hospital, something his grandmother wanted for him but she unfortunately passed away before it happened. Read more here--->>
Philip K. Boyd is an actor probably best known for his work as Oscar on The Haves and the Have Nots. He also briefly played roles on Days of Our Lives and The Young and the Restless just before landing what could be called the gig of a Lifetime. He has been an actor that Soap Opera News has been following avidly, We lucking got the chance to catch up with his this week as he discussed his acting career, He spoke about landing a role on General Hospital his time on The Haves and the Have Nots, upcoming projects and more! See below!
1. It's so good catching up with you since the last time we talked. At that time you were working on The Haves and the Have Nots as Oscar. Looking back at your time on the show, what can you say about the experience?
Thank you for keeping up with me! Looking back on playing Oscar in the Haves and The Have Nots was such a blessing. Working for Tyler Perry was one of the best experiences of my life. Not only because I got to be a part of his number one show, but because of all the wonderful people I got to meet during my stay on the show. Mr. Perry, if you don’t know him is such an inspiration to so many. His energy is so powerful, it’s easy to see why he’s been able to accomplish what he’s doing. I have so much respect for that man.
2. Since leaving the show, have you been following it, what are your thoughts about it now and do you keep in touch with the cast?
I haven’t been following the show as much as I did prior to leaving. Interacting with the fans during the air dates was something I look forward to and when my character took a nose dive out of a hotel room balcony, I sent out a video through social media thanking them for being a part of my life for so many years. The special thing about the cast and crew is that we have all stayed in touch as much as we can. Mr. Perry keeps things moving at his studio, so there’s very little down time while he’s filming.
3. What has life been like since leaving HAHN?
Since leaving the show life has been pretty hectic to be honest. Being an actor, we’re never guaranteed another job, so it’s a constant hustle to create a new project or get an audition for another role. I’ve been able to work on some films and have been developing a few projects in the meantime.
4. Congrats on scoring a recurring role on General Hospital as Tony DiMarco! Can you share how you landed the role?
Thank you so much! General Hospital is such an Iconic show that’s about to celebrate 57 years of being on television, so I am thrilled to have this opportunity. When I left Georgia and came to California to pursue acting, my mom and grandmother both wished for me to get on a soap opera. Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away, but she would have loved to know that General Hospital took a chance on hiring me. I must’ve auditioned for General Hospital fifty times over the course of my career and the Emmy Award-winning casting director, Mark Teschner kept telling me he was going to find something for me. This role came up and he felt this was the right one for me, and here we are.
5. So far we've only seen two episodes with you, will there be more?
Thankfully yes!! But you’ll have to tune in to see what they have in store for me…
6. Do you think Tony could eventually have a significant presence in Port Charles? Would you like to see that? If so, what would be your ideal backstory for him?
Only time will tell. General Hospital has a lot of characters that are fan favorites and I would love the opportunity to be able to work with Maurice Benard and make some new fans.
7. In the past, you also worked on Days of Our Lives and The Young and the Restless, what can you say about working on soap operas in general?
Working on soaps is a lot tougher than you would think. It’s a lot of pages with rewrites that come in the day of shooting and little time to memorize them all. I love it though. It’s a fast-paced atmosphere with everyone working together to get the best performances for the show. Everyone I’ve met has been really supportive and kind and to me, I could be around that every day of my life.
8. If the opportunity arises to sign a contract, would you take it?
9. What other projects do you have on the horizon that you can talk about?
There are a few films I’m waiting on to start. One is a golf movie inspired by a true story and if anyone follows my social media, they know what a big golfer I am, so I’m really excited for that. A few other projects that are in the can, and will be posting about them when I find out the release dates. You can follow me on Instagram and Twitter @philipkboyd
10. What's life like for you outside of acting?
Outside of acting, you can find me writing, golfing and just working on being the best version of me. Whether it’s getting in shape or meditating, I’m always trying to be better than yesterday.
11. Do you have a message for your fans that we can share with them?
Yes! I have loved getting to be a part of your lives and am doing my best to keep you updated on all the fun new things coming up. I wish each and everyone of you love, kindness and compassion as we all go through this thing called life. You all have inspired me to be better, so I want to say a huge THANK YOU!!!
So, what are your thoughts about Tony thus far?